Courtesy of Advertising Age this week, we learn that 2007 was the year that women tipped the scale to compose more than 50% of online users. What are they doing online?
- Shopping: travel, clothing, health & beauty products, financial products, and food. Women 45 to 54 were much more likely than men to make impulse purchases online when given limited-time offers or extra free items.
- Gaming: women are more likely to pay for play.
- Viewing video: news, movies previews, and music videos.
- Parenting: more than 43 million moms go online daily and spend an average of 85 minutes there.
- Socializing: women 25-34, with a college degree are more often to search for local dining and entertainment information, use instant messaging, visit social-networking sites, read blogs, and download music.
- Dating: when dating online, they lie about weight more often than any other attribute.
- Staying healthy: almost 84% of all women sought healthcare information online.